Monday, June 11, 2007

Is this nature's way of preparing me for the 18 years of sleepless nights to come?

When I woke up this morning after a night of tossing and turning, I felt a sudden burst of energy and sat right up, ready to start the day. Then I looked at the clock and realized it was only 1:45 AM. I tried going back to sleep, but it just wasn't happening, so here I am. It's almost 4 in the morning and I've finally finished editing all the baby shower pictures, posted them up on various websites, caught up on some email, and now, here I am, nearing delirium and unable to sleep.

Life has been a little hard to keep up with lately, which is why the blog has been neglected. The annoying thing is that I'm constantly writing in my head, phrasing sentences and drafting entries- and then I realize that ooooooooooh yeah, these thoughts don't just post themselves, but would I rather sit and type everything out or watch today's episode of Rachael Ray with my swollen feet elevated? We have a clear winner.

According to my doctor's first estimate, I'm at 33 weeks, and if you're going by the updated due date, I'm in week 34. Medically, this means that the baby is probably just under five pounds, and that my body is going through the final preparations of getting Reagan ready to make her grand entrance. Sociologically, it means that I am the recipient of gawks, gropes, and and endless line of questioning from strangers. Chris practically had to hold me back from jumping over the counter at the movie theater on Saturday and strangling the woman selling tickets. I didn't like her tone.

I'm on the verge of losing my mind, and it does happen for fleeting seconds. Last week I literally laughed until I cried when I realized that I burnt our bagels- for the second time in a row. I was standing alone in my kitchen at 7 in the morning, smoke coming out of the toaster oven, laughing one of those big hearty laughs at my own expense, when all of a sudden I didn't think it was quite so funny anymore and began sobbing. Really. Today? Today I had a little stuffed pink rabbit from the Baby Shower hanging around my neck, and it got caught in my ponytail as I was trying to take it off. Tears. Chris: "Honey, what's wrong?" Me: (tears, sniffing) "There's a bunny stuck in my hair!" I am slowly losing all rational credibility.

I've got two and a half hours before the world officially demands my participation, so I'm going to try to catch some sleep while I can...

No comments: